Monday 30 April 2012

Houston, we have a problem....

I'm very hopeful that it isn't a big issue though.

So far during training, apart from the odd niggle, touch wood, I have been relatively injury free. My right ankle has been a bit sore and my left achilles too from time to time, but these were relatively simple to deal with - nothing a quick bag of frozen peas couldn't fix.

I woke up at 3am this morning with the most excruciating pain in my neck. I eventually got back to sleep, but it hadn't subsided when I got up for work, and throughout the day it has got progressively worse, compounded by me whacking my head as I got into the car - ouch.

I have taken various anti inflammatories during the day, and since getting in from work I have rubbed a load of deep heat cream in which has eased it slightly. I still look like Robocop when I turn though. Needless to say it has put paid to tonight's training, but I would rather miss a couple of sessions now and make sure that it's right rather than make it worse.

My Monday night walking mate Ciaran wasn't able to make tonight anyway so I would only have had myself for company. He's out watching some football match or another that carries some sort of significant importance.......come on City !!!

I have a sports massage booked in for Thursday night so if I am still suffering then, hopefully this will help.

Since the SK, I have only done last Thursday's session, the little Laxey wander on Friday and I did a Ballaragh Loop yesterday about 2.45pm. If you'd seen me, you could be forgiven for thinking it was mid-winter. I was regaled in full winter training gear complete with  full length skins, thermal vest and woolly hat. It was freezing, and that was before the hail started!

The two miles from the top of Menorca Hill to Bulghan was into a gale, and the hail felt like someone was sandblasting my face. I had to walk almost bent double and lead with the top of my head. I can't help but feel that this style may have something to do with my sore neck.

By cutting out Laxey Village and cutting down Old Laxey Hill and up Menorca Hill shaves off about a mile from the loop, and I managed 8.5 miles flat out averaging 11.18 minute miles which equates to just under 5.4mph. I was really pleased with that time given the prevailing conditions, but also the effort from the previous week.

I also took the decision to blow the dust off an old pair of Saucony trainers, the ones I completed last year's PW in. The Asics that I have been wearing gave me a blister last week, and I also blame them for the deep rooted one too as it was from wearing these trainers that it started as a normal blister that I just left and left. I wanted to see if I could notice any difference by changing shoes. I certainly did, and although the Saucony's hardly touched my feet, ok I know I only did a short distance, but the lack of support in comparison to either of my Asics pairs was a stark contrast. On this basis, the Saucony's are definitely going to remain as a back-up pair.

So I am down to which of the two Asics pairs will make the cut. Rich Wild has been trying to convince me to buy a pair of Mizuno Elixirs, and whilst they do look good, and he vouches for their comfort and support, I am a little dubious about trying to break a new pair in at this late stage without inadvertently wrecking my feet. I think these will be a good option for the End to End and if I achieve my Parish goal this year, I may buy them for myself as a little treat !

So, the big day is 7 weeks away, and as Richard Gerrard mentioned in his blog, if you want to take part you have precisely 2 weeks to get your entry in. Entries close at 23.59 on 13 May so for those of you who have been putting Traa Di Looar into practice, you need to get signed up pronto. If you miss this time, you will not get in. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Do you know what, cos I'm such a nice bloke, I'll even do part of the work for you. Click on the link below, and that will take you straight to the online entry page.

Yes I am going to stop being lazy and sign up for the 2012 Parish Walk because it is going to be a brilliant event.


I fully expect to see the entries increase significantly now !!!

Happy training.

ps. For those who really care, I'll give a midweek update on the neck progress. For those that don't I'll still do it anyway.










No comments:

Post a Comment