Tuesday 17 April 2012

A week of hard rest.....

Well the time is almost upon us whereby the year's training thus far will be really put to the test. If you haven't entered for the Sara Killey on Sunday, I'm afraid to say it's too late, and you'll have to wait til next year.

For those of you who have entered, then believe me, it will be a great tester to see just how prepared you are, and give you a really good insight into what effort you will need to put in between now and June to get yourself in the best possible shape to give the Parish a really good go. Reading Richard Gerrard's blog, it really hit home when he said that your training should be peaking in terms of total mileage over the next 4 to 6 weeks, where has the time gone?

So a quick training update, well to be honest I haven't done a huge amount this week. I was away over the weekend in Benidorm for a mate's stag weekend, and other than two rounds of pretty top drawer golf (I have the trophy to prove it), I really did no other exercise. I did plan on taking my kit with me, but as we only took hand luggage, space was at a premium and therefore it had to stay at home. I have to say also that it wouldn't have qualified as warm weather training either as it was cold and it rained both days we were there. I can therefore say that the weekend was an extremely effective rest session.....I just need to detox now!!

So since last blog, I did 9 very quick miles last Tuesday, a hugely disappointing intervals session on Wednesday - a very busy day at work meant no time for lunch, and by the time I got home, I literally had enough time to change and go and meet up with the Laxey regulars at Party's house. One flat out 1.4 mile lap wiped me out, and I literally just could not get going. This is a prime example of what lack of food does to you and the outcome. Put it this way, never again will I train on an empty stomach, I was so disappointed with myself. Thursday was a quick 7 miles, but then the weekend came and gave me the perfect opportunity to shut the trainers away for a few days and enforce some relaxation ahead of Sunday's race.

I have arranged to do a 6 mile lap round Glen Roy tomorrow night with the Wednesday gang but I think this will be relatively sedentary as I don't want to end up pulling something and ruin all that good rest I have put in since last week !!!

So finally, onto Sunday and what promises to be a great race with plenty of familiar faces, and hopefully lots of new ones too. I am aiming to improve my time for a second consecutive year. I did around 6hrs 40 mins in 2010, 6hrs 25 last year, and my aim this year is to get as close to 6 hours as possible. Unfortunately the forecast doesn't look that great at this point, but as it's only Tuesday there is a good chance that it will change a good few times before Sunday.

My advice would be to keep an eye on the forecast right up til Sunday and make sure that you pack the kit that will suit the conditions best.

I'll give a brief last minute update probably on Saturday night, but unless you read it, I wish all of you good luck, I hope you really enjoy it and get out of it what you require, and I look forward to seeing you all on the start line at 8.30.


9.10pm

Just done a quick check on the long term weather forecast site Metcheck, and it looks like Sunday is actually going to be a good day, very little wind, maximum temperature of 8 degrees, and most importantly NO RAIN !!!!

So other than being a little chilly, but nothing that can't be fixed by a base layer (must remember plasters), it looks like perfect conditions. Chances are it will change again though by Sunday, but on the strength of this, hopefully not.

No comments:

Post a Comment