Thursday 3 May 2012

Problem solved!

A couple of days of anti-inflammatories seem to have done the trick. By Wednesday morning, the pain and stiffness in my neck had all but subsided and I was able to look around without turning my whole body, you know how, you've all done it at some stage.

Feeling good I decided to crack on with the Wednesday night session which was taking place this week at Ballaragh. Parking up at the car park by the Dhoon cafe, I was amazed by the number of people who had turned out. Word has obviously spread about these sessions and how good they actually are. As well as Steve P and Michelle Turner who had turned up to watch us go through our paces, there were 6 eager souls ready to work hard.

We set off down past the cafe onto the loop road that brings you out by the Port Cornaa turn off as a warm up the majority of us pretty much unaware of what Steve actually had in mind for us. On our return to the car park, Steve marshaled us on to the Ballaragh road, and armed us all with a different coloured piece of chalk.

The aim was to walk as fast as we possibly could up the hill for a minute, and when Steve blew his whistle you mark your position on the road with your chalk. Your minute of rest then began, but in that minute you had to get back to the start position and be ready to go again when Steve blew his whistle.

We had to do this 8 times. 

If you sit and think that it doesn't sound too tough, realistically speaking it's only 16 minutes graft, believe me it is tough, it's bloody tough especially as you keep trying to reach your first mark. I like to think that physically I coped pretty well and my recovery was good. I really would like to improve my cardio though as I was really blowing hard by the time I got to the whistle on each lap.

When I woke up this morning, my neck felt good, and so did my legs, so I think it's fair to say that the exertions from the Sara Killey are out of my system now, and hardcore training can resume in earnest. On this basis, myself and Simon have agreed to go out for a walk up to 3 hours Saturday morning, somewhere between 8 and 9 (probably closer to 9 as we are both out Friday night!). 

Steve suggested last night why not publicise the longer walks we do so if anyone who wants to join in, they can. Regardless of ability, it is a reason to get out, and if enough people turn out, there will always be someone to walk with. 

So, if anyone is keen to join us, drop me an email with your contact details to evwalter@manx.net and I will send out a group email or text around 24hours before we go out so you know where and when. From experience, walking in a group is so much more enjoyable than walking alone.

Tonight I went for a sports massage with Colette at Serene Spa, based in the Living Well gym, and I am feeling good. She worked my legs, back shoulders and arms, and undid quite a few knots in my neck which probably contributed to the problem I suffered earlier in the week.

If anyone is looking to go for a sports massage ahead of the Parish (and I would definitely recommend it), then give Colette a try, she's very friendly and has thumbs of steel !

Finally, if you haven't entered, you now only have 10 days in which to do so - time is running out - FAST.


No comments:

Post a Comment