Monday 23 April 2012

My legs hurt !

And so does my ankle, and so do my feet. Nips are great though - aren't plasters brilliant?

Yesterday was the Sara Killey Memorial Walk, and for those of you unfamiliar with the race, it's a hi-tempo 50k from Peel Fire Station to Ramsey Fire Station via the Parish Walk route.

It all kicked off at 8.30 and the conditions were spot on, I have to admit that I did panic a little when I saw the grey clouds hanging over Peel, but the rain stayed off virtually all day, and what little did fall eventually, was minimal.

I started a little too quick (as per usual), but before I even crossed the main Peel to Douglas Road I'd had a word with myself and started to ease off and began to drop back into the field. Leaving Peel I was on my own, and continued to be so until about 5 miles in when I was caught by Shaun Nesbitt, and we walked along together. We were soon caught by Shaun's friend and Parish Walk regular finisher Sam Draper.

The three of us set a good pace, and I felt very comfortable until such time nature was knocking on my door. Just after Jurby I couldn't hold any longer and snuck down a farm lane to 'go'. As I peered over the hedge I saw Shaun and Sam disappear off into the distance. Fortunately I didn't get caught by anyone during my pitstop (say that after a couple of beers and it will sound exactly like what it was) and managed to get back into a reasonable rhythm. I caught and passed 'Lon' Chambers just at the top of the Lhen, who said he was struggling a little. I felt bad leaving him as I always want to try and encourage people as much as I possibly can, but he is a well seasoned veteran, and there is nothing I can tell him considering that I am wet behind the ears in terms of experience compared to this guy.

About a couple of miles from Bride Sue Biggart caught me, and we walked together pretty much to the village until such point the hills just took their toll and I dropped back about 10 yards behind her. It really was great walking with people with such huge experience and I have to say that even in the twenty or so minutes I walked with Sue, she has to be one of the most positive people I have ever walked with, and I will take her outlook with me as much as I possibly can.

So on into Andreas and literally just before the roundabout I caught one of my regular training partners Stewie Jones who had started off really well, but by now was really struggling with cramp, he told me to go on and not let him slow me up, and again, I felt really bad leaving him behind, but when I thought about it I wouldn't want to slow anyone up either so on I went.

My mile splits had become a little slower, but I knew that I was just about on course to arrive in Ramsey at around the 6 hour mark which was my goal. The final few miles are a blur really, I just remember doing my absolute best to try and get my splits under 12 minutes which I think I managed twice out of the last 7 miles. I put my iPod on to try and focus my mind for the last stretch from the Ginger Hall to the finish, it did work, but didn't mask the pain in my legs. The only vivid things in my memory was passing a bunch of hikers by the Grammar School and having to get into the road as they were walking almost 3 abreast, but just before that, Richard Gerrard virtually hanging out of a car window shouting encouragement - thanks Rich, that gave me a last lift to cover the last couple of miles. I eventually crossed the line in just over 6 hours and 2 minutes according to the magic watch, but I need to see the official timing to work out how much I managed to knock off last year's time. All in all however I was and still am really pleased with my effort. I'm also pleased that I managed to mix it with some people who only a year ago I would have thought were far too quick for me, and I can only put this down to the regular sessions with Party so I must say a huge thanks to him for his advice and also my various training partners so far this year particularly those who have pushed me faster and faster.

There is still a lot of hard work to go in, and a few hundred miles to be covered before the ultimate test, but I think that training is well on course and Sunday has demonstrated that I have come a long long way in the past 12 months.

There are a number of people who deserve huge congratulations, notably Michael for another phenomenal record breaking performance, my fellow blogger Richard for yet another pb, and to break the 5 hour barrier for the first time when he didn't think it was possible. Dave Walker - wow, where did that come from?? Well done Dave a great performance, and that underlines what Richard has been saying about your improvement this year. Michelle Turner fantastic performance to be the first lady, I reckon you'd have been quicker if you hadn't had Rich Wild holding you back ;o), Simon Briggs - well done fella a brilliant time, I'll catch you one of these days, and also to Tony McNally, an unofficial Parish Walk blogger who I met for the first time on Sunday. Considering this was his first attempt at any sort of event, I take my hat off to him for a tremendous performance - well done!

Finally, a huge congratulations to my sister and bro-in-law, Lou and Julian Thomas for both completing the London Marathon in a very respectable time of 5h 06mins. Considering Julian had to undergo 5 days worth of intensive physio just to even get to the start line is nothing short of phenomenal. Now that's over, you can start training for a proper event!

Well done one and all, see you out and about training, remember, the big one is now only 9 weeks away.

21.10

Oops, I did say to Sam yesterday that I would publish a link to my garmin download so she could see the split times. I think we walked from just after the Devil's Elbow which is around 6 miles to about 2 miles after the prison, so the splits for that period will be from mile 6 through to around mile 16 or 17 (these distances are consistent with faster splits too).

 http://connect.garmin.com/activity/170826342



1 comment: