Friday 27 April 2012

Fa(s)t Eddie

I mentioned the other week about a photo surfacing of me a few years ago when I was carrying a bit of excess timber. Did I just say a bit?? Ok, loads more than I should have been.

Well hopefully last Sunday's result has confirmed that the transition is almost complete. As the strange title of this blog suggests, I once was Fat Eddie, but now, hopefully Fast Eddie is a more appropriate name.

Just so you can see where I'm coming from, here is an old pic of me from only 6 years ago. Incidentally, this is me only a few weeks after the 2006 End to End Walk at a golf weekend with a bunch of my 'celebrity' mates. I still to this day cannot believe I was knocking on 19 stone, and I really take pride in the fact that I have managed to shed over 4 stone and obviously done wonders for my health and life expectancy.

This isn't the actual photo that made me gasp, and then laugh uncontrollably on my way to Spain, and hopefully when Bruno can actually find it again, I will publish it just for a laugh.

Back Row L-R Tony Meo, Fat Eddie, Bruno
Front Row L-R Bruce Forsythe, Harry Potter, 'The' Rob Mason
 Training this week has been slow as you would expect as recovery from Sunday continues. I did nothing until Thursday night which was the rearranged session from Wednesday night. It started steady with a few gentle laps of the NSC with Steve, Simon, Caroline and Tom Partington - the laziest person in the history of the world but has quite simply the most natural race walking technique. No idea where he gets that from!!!

We stepped it up a little when Shaun Dean joined us. Shaun took part in the Sara Killey last weekend, but his race came to an abrupt end as his technique was a little close to the edge. This was his first visit to a proper race walking session, and although he took a few goes to get the basics right, he definitely has something and with a bit more practice I can see him doing extremely well.

Tonight, as it was such a lovely evening, we decided to take the kids for a stroll round Laxey. We parked up at Axnfell, and headed towards Rencell Hill, and cut in to the public footpath that drops down into the Laxey Glen and takes you up the other side to the allotments on Baldhoon Road. After a serious descent through the trees, we came out by the river, and instead of climbing up the other side, we took a breather in the Glen Gardens park whilst the kids played on the swings. We then wandered along the river towards the flour mill and after getting back on to the main road, we cut back up another public footpath (that I never knew existed) which crossed Axnfell Lane and brought us back up to the top of Rencell Hill. Caroline and the kids decided to stroll back along the remainder of the footpath that comes out by Lonan Church, and I wandered back to Axnfell to get the car. Although there was absolutely no pace involved, it was a really nice walk to get out and stretch the legs and just keep ticking over.

I've nothing planned for the weekend, but I suspect I will get out one of the days and see how the recovery has gone. We have 8 weeks to go now until the big day is upon us, so really speaking there are probably 5 weeks of proper training left with the last 3 for slowing down and tapering. So this is a last call for training, if you are thinking of attempting any kind of serious distance in the Parish ( and I mean no disrespect to those whose aim is Rushen) get out training now, as if you leave it any longer, believe me, it'll be too late.

Get the trainers on, and get pounding those pavements!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment