Tuesday 24 April 2012

It's official

The official results are in from Sunday, and I am delighted to say that my own time was only a minute out, so I managed to complete the course in 6hrs 3 mins and 38 seconds.

This is an improvement of 23 minutes 7 seconds or almost 45 seconds a mile quicker. I think it goes to show what some real hard training can do for you.

Everything seems to be healing well, I expected to be pretty sore today as usually it's the day after the day after that the real pain and stiffness sets in, but today I've felt good. I can feel it in my legs still, but I even managed a little trot upstairs before. I didn't mention in my last blog but I ended up with 2 blisters on my right heel. One was simply a surface blister and after draining it, it seems to have disappeared already - happy days, the other is a recurrence of a more deep rooted long standing blister that was under a think layer of hard skin.

This one has shown itself several times during training but after a couple of hours each time, it has disappeared. Enough is enough though, and I think the only way for it to heal properly is to take the top off it (I know there is a medical term for it, but I can't remember what it is) and let it heal from inside out. So armed with a needle and a pair of cuticle clippers I cut all the skin off and ended up with a what I can only describe as a red raw hole on the inside of my heel now.  I whacked a compeed straight over the top, and bingo, it feels as good as new.

I am not for one minute condoning tackling at your feet with sharp implements because what works for me may not work for you, so please please don't issue me with a solicitor's letter if you try it and it goes wrong and end up with a gangrenous limb!!!

So little training this week whilst I recover, and the usual Wednesday night session has been moved to Thursday this week, and moved from Laxey to the NSC. So, if you have an hour to spare between 6pm and 7pm, please consider it as the benefits are tremendous.

Before I sign off, I forgot to say a huge thank you to the organisers from Sunday for another great event, and to the volunteers who gave up their spare time to marshall, keep time, and generally make sure the event ran smoothly, without them, we wouldn't have such great events.

3 comments:

  1. Massive improvement. Brilliant walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I'll see you for training in about three weeks. Your foot should have healed by then!

      Delete
  2. Excellent improvement on last year Ed and quicker recovery with less stiffness, so a good sign the training is going well. Hope you sort the blister out!

    ReplyDelete