Friday 6 April 2012

Do as I say, not as I do.......

Not sure how many times I've banged on so far about lubrication and making sure that areas that rub are protected.

Last thing I said to myself before I went out this morning, 'I mustn't forget to put plasters on my nips', I have done the last couple of times I've been out and they're getting a bit sore.

Well, this picture speaks for itself, and if you need any motivation as to why you should put plasters on or cover them in some way, then this should be more than enough. Christ they hurt!

Stop squirting ketchup at me!
From now on, there is absolutely no excuse to get out without plasters, micropore or similar adorning my chest. 

I promised blog before last that I would give an insight into the kit that I use, so without further ado.....

Footwear

Previously I have been a huge fan of Saucony trainers, and every long distance walk I have entered and completed bar one, have been in a pair of these. Knocking round the house and garage I have around 6 different pairs in various states of wear, but only two would be of any use to use on the day. It was my sister who put me on to these originally after seeing me limp out of Dalby in the 2006 E2E in a battered old pair of Nike trainers that were designed more for fashion than practicality. Never since have I done anything other than in a pair designed specifically for use. 

Despite my height, I only take size 10's but all of my trainers are a 10.5. I find that the extra bit of room in the toe box adds to the comfort and allows my [small girly] toes to move around without risk of toe nail damage.

This year, I have bought a couple of pairs of Asics which are both extremely comfortable and it will be these that I will be wearing on the big day, barring any mishaps between now and then.

I think it's really important to have more than one pair of trainers worn in at any one time, just on the off chance that something does happen to one, such as a pet dog either demolishing them or your cat using them as an impromptu litterbox. More likely though, if we get a repeat of 2008, then you will have a spare dry pair to put on.

Footwear is very important, and a pair that you like the look of may cripple you, so I would suggest that you go and get fitted properly.

Socks

Having followed the Parish blogs for the last few years, and spoken to loads of people, socks are the biggest question raiser.

I use twin skin 1000 Mile socks, and have in the past used padded socks too. My distinct preference however I have to say is the twin skin, the inner layer fits tight against the skin, and then the outer layer slightly looser to allow the two layers to move independently of each other. I kind of fell across these socks, when I first started walking, someone had mentioned the make so I went out and bought the first pair I saw. I have replaced them about 7 times, but still swear by the same style. As with all kit, spares should be carried on the day in case your feet get wet, or you can change them for a bit of a psychological boost.

Undies

I touched on these in an earlier blog, but my favourite are lycra shorts, similar to cycling shorts just without the padding. These are great for keeping chaffing to a minimum and also provide support to the quads when they tire.

Shorts/Trousers

I go for lightweight shorts, but pretty much any kind will do really. I would suggest however that if you plan on going further than Peel, keep away from longer style canvas shorts as they will rub and cause havoc especially if it is a hot day and you sweat a lot and they will become heavy if it rains. Later on, I opt to put on my long tights which keep my legs warm as the temperature drops, but also provide much needed support for extremely tired muscles.

Shirt/Vest 


In all of the races and events I have taken part in, I have always used a technical type t-shirt (similar to the one in the above picture - in fact that is my favourite, and has been the one worn on the start line for both my successes). This type of shirt is great as it is breathable, very lightweight and actually wicks the sweat away from the body. I usually carry 3 or 4 of these in my back up car in case on gets wet or I spill something down it. I also make sure I have a long sleeve top with me for when the temperature drops.


Jacket

My trusty hi-viz jacket goes everywhere with me, and this normally gets put on around midnight once it becomes quite cold. Although shower proof, it's not 100% waterproof, but does the job if the rain isn't too bad.

I always carry at least 2 changes of clothes with me just in case I need to change, but I would encourage everyone to try out their kit in training well before the big day. The biggest thing you should be concentrating on now is getting those trainers broken in if they aren't already. It's no use rocking up on the day with a pair of brand spankers as they'll start to make themselves known well before you've dubbed at the first church.

As there are only 11 weeks to go, this gives you probably just enough time to get them broken in and ready.

Finally, listen to your back up in relation to kit. They are in and out of the car so will notice a drop in temperature better than you will, so when they tell you to wrap up, do it. Make sure you also carry a woolly hat, gloves and blanket in the car too, Bulgham at 3am is no fun when your head is freezing and your hands are dropping off. The blanket is your best friend when you finish. It is remarkable how quickly you go cold when you stop moving, and after you have taken some time to take it all in at the end you will be cold, so get wrapped up.

Right, where did I put those plasters.... 

1 comment:

  1. I've suffered some horrendously bloody nipples over the last few years and have always taped them up in the past. Now, though, I wear a tighter fitted-top. Although I refused to wear them until I'd lost about four stone in weight, the tighter fitting shirts do avoid the sore nipple problems as the shirt doesn't move around over the skin.

    And, strangely, I've gone in the opposite direction footwear wise. I've worn Ascis for years but have moved to Saucony this year with fantastic results. Not one blister so far.

    ReplyDelete