Friday 24 February 2012

All that good work undone

Oh dear......just got in from a week away at Center Parcs with Caroline and the kids, and too much over indulgence has really taken its toll. I feel fat, unfit and hugely lethargic.

As assumed before I went I did very very little exercise, unless you count messing around in the swimming pool and a bit of easy cycling as exercise, but to be honest I think the calorie intake far outweighed those burnt so I need to get out and soon.

The week started in the best possible fashion, it was my birthday on Sunday and we sailed over to Birkenhead and met up with my mate Dicko, his wife Liz, and their son Leo who had travelled over the day before. Dicko had managed to secure tickets for the Liverpool vs Brighton FA Cup 5th round match so we could take the boys, whilst the girls went into town shopping ahead of our week at Center Parcs. What a great game, Liverpool went ahead after about 6 minutes but Brighton equalised with an absolute screamer of a free kick. To be honest from then on I really did worry about the result as Brighton were all over us until Liverpool managed to scramble the ball over the line a few minutes before half time. Liverpool were like a completely different team in the second half and sorted another 4 goals and also had the luxury of a missed penalty to eventually run out 6-1 winners, and book themselves a home tie with Stoke City in the next round. This is a team very close to my heart as they are actually my home town team so the tie will be very interesting and I'm sure there will be plenty of banter between me and my brother and sister who are avid Potters fans. Hopefully this Sunday's game will see Liverpool bag another hatful of goals, and they will return from Wembley with the season's first piece of silverware.

So back to training (or lack of), I did manage a 2 mile run this morning at 6.50am when I went out to get the car to avoid the mayhem that ensues on 'leaving' day. This is nowhere near enough though considering the amount of effort I have put in up til now. Because of this, I am heading out first thing on the morning, and am going to push myself through the barrier if only to make myself feel better. Well...first I'll feel awful, but after I've finished I'll feel better. I think I'll do a Ballaragh loop followed by a Baldrine loop which in total will bring up around 14 miles.

The only slight snag is for some reason I have picked up a couple of niggles (possibly from cycling but I really don't know) but my right ankle is a bit sore, and my left achilles is also pretty tender. Hopefully they are nothing serious and a good blast tomorrow will clear them up.

So apart from a very poor week from a training perspective, and managing to pick up these pesky niggles from nowhere, it was a fantastic week from a relaxation point of view and my batteries are very much recharged and am ready to get back to and very much looking froward to going to work on Monday after 4 weeks off.

Next post will hopefully include an anecdote on how fantastic my training has gone, and how much fitter and more up for it I am.......let's see eh?

ps. That's not actually a picture of my belly - it might have been at one time though!!!

2 comments:

  1. I often find a week of indulgence every once in a while can just give the body the time and resources to re-build itself and I often come back stronger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks James.

    I did a loop of Ballaragh yesterday almost 5 mins quicker than the previous Friday so something worked. Perhaps it was more mental and just gave me the edge to push a little harder.

    ReplyDelete