Sunday 5 February 2012

3 out of 4 aint bad

I mentioned on Friday that there was a good chance that all 4 members of my family were going to take part in this morning's final round of the Up and Running Winter Walking League. It only needed a little touch of bribery and I was convinced that Scarlett would do the 1k race. This was before I was told she was having a sleepover at her best friend Eden's house last night and therefore there was no chance of convincing her to leave early.

Archie had film night with cubs followed by a sleepover at the scout hall in Onchan so me and Caroline had the evening to ourselves. Many years ago (pre-children), we would have been straight off into town, a few scoops, followed by a kebab or 3 (I've done it before you know) and stumbled home. That was then and this is now and after much deliberation we decided to head into Laxey for a meal at La Mona Lisa. I absolutely love that place, but we don't go as often as we should considering it is virtually on our doorstep. With one eye on this morning, I just went for a relatively light dish washed down with a 2011 diet coke.

So, on to this morning, we picked Archie up from Onchan scout hall and headed down to the NSC. What a fantastic morning, bright, clear, still, yet a little cold. The race was changed at the last minute from a handicap start to a scratch start and the handicaps would be added at the end.

My decision to stick to soft drinks last night was vilified as soon as Richard Gerrard appeared looking a touch worse for wear. It was at this point I was glad I declined to sample the Peroni Mona Lisa have on tap.

In recent races I have felt that I have gone off far too quickly and struggled after the first few laps so today I decided to start relatively steady and build up to a decent pace. The stark reality of the task in hand was very evident as soon as we reached the Manx Harriers clubhouse. I glanced across the astro pitch to the other side and saw people who I would normally be walking with way ahead of me and I suddenly though t that I need to catch them. For once, I managed to keep to my game plan and kept steady. After the first 4 laps were under my belt, and I'd done some to-ing and fro-ing with John Watterson and James Betteridge I decided to put my foot down and up the pace a little. I still felt comfortable and was starting to reel in the people ahead of me one by one. I passed a good number of competitors, but with 3 laps remaining I was really starting to feel it. I managed to keep a good pace and crossed the line in 64.38 (according to my magic watch) which is a little outside my pb, but given the slower start and the fact I was really concentrating on my technique today I was and am really pleased, more so for the fact that I didn't get a card today - woo hoo.

Following the races was the presentation for the 5k and 10k competition, after a super buffet laid on by the organisers. We stuck around to see who had done what, we also had an idea that Caroline had done quite well in the 5k races and to her delight she was placed second overall which is a fantastic achievement and she got a plaque which is now taking pride of place on the mantlepiece in the lounge and a voucher from the competition organisers Up & Running.

So another year's Winter League has been and gone, and I must say a huge thanks to the organisers, sponsors and everyone involved such as the marshal's who quietly go about their business giving up their own time to turn out so that these events can go ahead. They really are a fantastic introduction into race walking for young and old, and I am hoping that today's trophy is not the last for the Walter family in the sport. Who knows, Scarlett may turn out to be a race walking phenomenon in years to come. Finally, congratulations to all who achieved what they set out to do, all the new pb's set, especially Michael George with his 48 minutes something or other which is just phenomenal. I reckon it could have been slightly quicker if I hadn't got in his way as he went screaming past as well.

To finish off, 20 weeks from now, the main event will all be over, and everyone will be nursing aches, pains and blisters, but trust me, it will be worth it, every single last bit of it. To sit, and to look back and say to yourself 'I've just walked 85 miles, or I got to such and such a Parish which was my objective' will feel a little surreal, but when it sinks in you will realise what an achievement that is.

20 weeks is a little over 4 months, so training now begins in earnest, still aiming to get out at least 3 times a week, but looking to do one long walk a week of around 15 miles minimum to help build up stamina and endurance, with the other sessions being aimed at going quicker to try and increase overall speed.

Next time I think I will tell you about my first successful Parish and in future posts I'll share with you tips about kit etc. and things to think about.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Ed. Well done to you and especially Caroline. I'm pretty sure no one obstructed me. It is great to have to many people out on the track and I think that inspires me more than having it to myself in a soulless race.

    ReplyDelete