Tuesday 13 March 2012

Less is more?

Can't help but think I may have overdone it a little in the last week or so.

On top of my 33 miles last week, I have already done 23 miles this week, and have 2 more sessions planned. Only drawback is the minor ache in my left achilles is now manifesting itself as a bit of a calf strain.

After the 16+ miler on Sunday, we decided on Monday to once again give the NSC a miss and get out and enjoy some Island views. Starting in Onchan, we headed up School Road and out along towards Little Mill equipped with head torches and blinking red lights. This is another cracking training route as there are plenty of hills, it's relatively quiet, and best of all, you don't get to notice it when driving so you can take it all in at walking pace.

My calf/achilles was a little tight after Sunday already, so I outlined my plan to take it easy and not push too hard. When we emerged at Hillberry, rather than head back through Birchill, Ciaran suggested we go down Johnny Watterson's Lane and just add a bit longer to the route. I agreed, and as we approached Ballanard Road, he was really keen to try and get another big hill in, so we took a detour round Port-E-Chee Avenue, and up Bray Hill. Back along Governors Rd, down Blackberry Lane and to Ciaran's house on Ridgeway Road. A total distance just shy of 7 miles, and we did it in about 1hr 25 mins - so a relatively steady pace.

However, when I got home, my calf was telling me another story, so the rest of the night was spent elevating it and resting it on a bag of frozen peas. Fortunately today it feels quite a lot better, but I can still feel a bit of a niggle, so there'll be nothing more strenuous tonight other than hurling a couple of cushions at the TV if the Merseyside Derby doesn't turn out in my favour. My football comments have been conspicuous by their absence recently, probably something to do with the fact my team are playing like a bunch of pansies, and I have nothing good to say about them, so as the old saying goes, if you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all. Hopefully tonight will be a good game though bettered only by the right result. I'm keeping everything crossed.

Tomorrow is the usual Wednesday session in Laxey, but I am hoping Steve goes easy on us as all of us over 35 have entered the IOMVAC 5k walk at the NSC on Thursday. Also, I want to try and make sure my calf is right so I can do myself justice. I have agreed a plan with my newly installed stats coach (my mate Dan who is a proper statto and I have given him the title so he can feel involved because he lives in London now), and I will share with you after Thursday night whether or not it worked.

Right, time to sign off, quick story for the kids, then I can get in front of the footy!

Oh no, just seen the team, Bellamy not even on the bench!??! I predict a significant amount of cushion throwing, what is going on, even Everton's bench looks stronger than ours???

No comments:

Post a Comment